The TSD Platform has formulated the following priorities:
- Promoting a value-based trade policy that serves present and future generations by striking a balance between profit, people and the planet.
- Anchoring commitments to sustainability such as the Paris Agreement at the core of FTAs.
- Conditioning the conclusion of FTAs on the protection of human and workers’ rights.
- Institutionalize a close cooperation between the EU and the International Labour Organization.
- Effectively enforcing binding social and environmental standards through positive and negative incentives, including support of capacity-building and rewards on the one hand, and effective monitoring and sanctioning on the other.
- Involvement of civil society organizations and empowerment of under-represented stakeholders in all stages of the implementation process.
- Thorough and continued impact assessment before and after the conclusion of FTAs that takes into account all levels and value dimensions.
- Mitigating risks through the set-up of transparency requirements, early warning systems and complaint bodies.
- Establishing functioning and impartial dispute settlement mechanisms.